Specialized medical care that focuses on quality of life for patients and their families dealing with the symptoms and stress of a serious illness.
If you or a loved one need help with the symptoms and stress of a serious illness, palliative care can help provide comfort, reassurance, and improve quality of life. Our palliative care teams work together with your physician and other specialists and care organizations to bring you the care you need.
Palliative treatment is appropriate if you have been given a prognosis of one year or less and not ready or eligible for hospice care. While the goal of both hospice and palliative care is pain and symptom relief, palliative care may be concurrent with or without home health care and without regard to the presence of curative or life-prolonging care or homebound status.
- Reducing avoidable ER visits and hospitalizations
- Facilitating smooth transitions between care settings
- Coordination of care with your primary care physician and relevant specialists
- Goals of care/advance care planning discussions
- Increasing patient and family satisfaction with the assurance that goals of care are being met
- Enhancing overall quality of life